The contentious presidential election and political divisiveness of the months leading up to it caused the Community Associations Institute, the leading organization which represents the interests of communities with associations, to issue an important reminder. In its blogs and emails, CAI recently appealed to communities to promote civility and unity by adopting the organization’s Community Association Civility Pledge, which is a commitment to the following principles:
- Each individual must be accountable for his or her own actions and words.
- All interactions in the community should be civil despite any differences of opinion on a particular issue.
- A vow to respect all points of view and strive to provide a reasonable opportunity for all to express their views openly.
- Residents are engaged and informed.
- Residents review CAI’s Rights and Responsibilities for Better Communities.